In 1800, Thomas Moore, Jr. and his wife, Mary Brooke Moore sold to David Newlin four acres inherited from Mrs. Moore's father, Roger Brooke IV, described as "standing below Newlin's Mill dam". Initially, Newlin operated an oil mill on this site, grinding flax seed into linseed oil. A covenant prevented Newlin from grinding grain and competing with Richard Thomas' mill on the east side of Brookeville. By 1825 however, a notice to sell the mill described Newlin's as a grist, saw, oil and clover seed mill. Later owners and millers included William Downs and Charles Henry Shaw. The mill ceased operation in the early 1900s. A mill race is still visible running parallel to Brookeville Road, west to Oakley Cabin.