Calvin Henderson Wiley (1819-1887) was a lawyer, author, legislator, minister, and champion of public education. Wiley became North Carolina's first Superintendent of Common Schools in 1853 and remained in that position until 1865. In 1869, he moved to Winston and was instrumental in developing Winston and Salem's public school system. Wiley served as the chairman of Winston's first school board from 1883 to 1887. Completed in 1925, Calvin H. Wiley School was designed by Charles Barton Keen, architect of Reynolda House and nearby R.J. Reynolds High School and Memorial Auditorium. Built on land donated by Pleasant Henderson Hanes, the columned facade of the Colonial Revival-style school overlooks Hanes Park.