The Historic National Road in OhioIn 1827, construction of the National Road began through Muskingum County, and the Scotch-Irish settlement that became New Concord was laid out on March 24, 1828 by Judge David Findley. Judge Findley, born in Belfast, Ireland in 1762, and his six sons carved out farms from the area that is now Interstate 70 to John Glenn High School. They built log cabins, a carding mill (where wool was prepared for spinning), a tobacco warehouse and a distillery. Prior to the building of the National Road, the greatest problem of these pioneers was getting crops to the market. The Road led the growth of the "pike town" and within two years the town population was 32; by 1833 it was 75 and in 1837 it was 200. The village was officially incorporated in 1838.
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Placed By||The Ohio National Road Association, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 437302 N 4427299|
|Decimal Degrees||39.99355000, -81.73443333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 59.613', W 81° 44.066'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 59' 36.78" N, 81° 44' 3.96" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2 W Main St, New Concord OH 43762, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.