Early 19th centuryLocated on the Federal Road near Line Creek (present Waugh) in eastern Montgomery County, this wayside hotel was built prior to 1818 and was owned by a least two other families before coming into the possession of Walter and Eliza Lucas around January 1821. Originally a two room dogtrot, the building was brought to its present form by the Lucas family in the early 1820s. On April 2, 1825, Eliza entertained Marquis de Lafayette and his entourage in the Tavern during their trip through the state. The family left for new business ventures in Mississippi in 1842, after which the Tavern became a residence and, eventually, a storage building.
|Placed By||Landmark Foundation of Montgomery|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 9th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 565490 N 3582916|
|Decimal Degrees||32.38131667, -86.30376667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 22.879', W 86° 18.226'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 22' 52.74" N, 86° 18' 13.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 304 N Hull St, Montgomery AL 36104, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.