Lewis & Clark Memorial Bridge at Chamberlain
Dedicated July 7, 1974 by Governor Richard F. Kneip
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark with their party camped at several points
near this crossing. In September 1804, continuous rain had soaked their gear.
They stopped near Ocoma, above the mouth of the American Crow Creek at a place
They called "Camp Pleasant". Here, in warm and delightful weather, they rested,
Dried their equipment, and repacked their boats. While here, Captain Lewis
hunted, killing a buffalo and a magpie, a bird not known in the eastern states.
The men ate delicious plums and found an abundance of acorns from burr
oak, upon which they feasted. Lewis explored American Island noting "a large
perportion of seeder" on it
The expedition returned to this area, homeward bound, in August, 1806 after
having journeyed into the unknown and immortality.