In the late 1950s a large scale gambling resort was planned for Freestone Point. The original scheme boasted a luxury hotel, a golf course and country club, marinas, white sand beaches, swimming pools, tennis, and amusement park and more. Much of this fourteen million dollar vision was forgotten with the demise of the gambling ship in 1958. Existing facilities were utilized and others added in the early 1960s when the resort was converted into a recreational area. Featured here were three swimming pools, a ferris wheel, and a merry-go-round, go-kart racing, pony rides, a boardwalk and pier, a model train ride, and over a mile of white sand beach.
(upper left) Grand Opening Advertisement, May 28, 1960.
(lower left) A view of the resort from the upper deck of the gambling ship.
(upper right) The Freestone Point pools were very popular with the locals.
(center right) Freestone Point Beach covered over a mile of Potomac shore.
(lower right) A model train ride offered a relaxing tour of Freestone Point.