US 31 in its present location was built in 1953. In the 1960s, the Rotary Club of Elk Rapids began to develop the land between the highway and Elk River. With the help of other local organizations, the area became a park, named Rotary Park in honor of its first benefactor.
Elk Rapids Rotary, celebrating in 2005 Rotary International's first 100 years, made the park its "Centennial Project", with major renovations and additions to the grounds, the pavilion, and the monument.
This plaque commemorates the rededication of Rotary Park to the citizens of the community and to the many travelers who stop to spend a few moments enjoying the beauty and history of the area.
[Dedicated by] Officers and Members
Rotary Club of Elk Rapids
June 25, 2005