Originally McCarty's Saloon and Billiard hall, the walls of the Park Garden Cafe would have a lot of stories to tell if they could talk. Built in 1875, the main billiard hall was one of Ernest Hemingway's favorite haunts. The interior is well-preserved with a pressed tin ceiling, wood trim and swinging doors. The 1894 Brunswick Bar is hand carved and built from black walnut, cherry and hickory. The second floor was used for dances, religious services, and town meetings, including the one that produced the Village Charter in 1879. About 1901, Frank Fochtman built the red brick two-story building just up the street. It had a bowling alley in the basement, a restaurant named "The Grill Café" on the main floor and apartments above. The vacant lot between the two became "The Palm Garden," an open-air café complete with fountains and a tent for shade. In 1997, The Park Garden was renamed The City Park Grill.