Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace
Built between 1853 & 1873 (prior to the towns incorporation) and unchanged since its construction, this plantation style raised cottage is typical of early Texas architecture. Unusual features include two front doors & exterior access from most rooms, floor-ceiling windows, basement dining room with interior well, Greek Revival woodwork, gas lights & the first interior bathroom with running water in Kaufman Co. Numerous outbuildings included, detached kitchen, wash room, smoke house, servants quarters, carriage house privy, barn & stables. This home was lived in by several families including the Jas. Browns and C.M. Johnsons before being purchased by the Dr. L.E. Griffith family in 1882.
Dr. L.E. Griffith (1813-1897) arrived in Texas Apr. 30, 1836 nine days after the Battle of San Jacinto. His first patient upon arrival was Sam Houston, whose leg he is credited with saving after a severe wound received in that battle. Ordered by the government in 1836 to render medical aid to the citizens of San Antonio in the aftermath of the Alamo, he later returned in 1846 as U.S. Surgeon in charge of a field hospital there, where he took an active role in the war. Physician and warm personal friend of Sam Houston, intimately associated with Rusk, Henderson, Blunt Ogeltree, 3 Legged Willie and other prominent
early citizens of Texas, he was a friend & classmate of David S. Kaufman & met Daniel Webster & Lafayette in his youth. His wife, Sarah Jane Clark, was the daughter of Wm. Clark, Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence of Texas. This home has remained in the same family for 6 generations and is reputedly the oldest home in continued use as a residence within the county. Griffith Ave., named in honor of this family, adjoined this original tract.