The Manistee Harbor
Pictured is the Manistee Harbor in 1880 with intense activity of pleasure boating, commercial fishing, schooners, steamers and lumber freighters.
The Manistee Water Works
540 First Street
The old Holly Water Works building was built in 1881. Currently, it is the home of the Manistee County Historical Museum (Open July and August)
The North Pier Catwalk and Lighthouse
Fifth Ave. Beach, Fifth Ave. and Lakeshore
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the iron catwalk, which allowed access to the light during stormy weather, was built around 1927, the year when the steel lighthouse was placed at the end of the north pier. Behind the catwalk can be seen the light first placed [on the break?]water around 19[15?].
Manistee Fire Hall
281 First Street
The Manistee Fire Hall is a Romanesque Revival style building, flanked by a two-and-one half story copper domed tower. Design[ed] by architect F.W. Hollister, the structure is unique in that it has not undergone any alterations in usage or design since it was built. It is the oldest continuously operating fire hall in Michigan. Open year-round for tours.
The Ramsdell Theatre Opera House
Corner of Maple and First Streets
The Ramsdell Theatre and Hall was
designed in 1903 by famed architect Solon S. Beman for local lawyer and philanthropist Thomas Jefferson Ramsdell. This ornate theatre boasts an act curtain by Walter Burridge, the scenic artist who designed the sets for the original stage production of "The Wizard of Oz". It remains one of the country's finest old theatres. Currently it is home to regular productions by the Manistee Civic Players, art exhibits by the Manistee Art Institute and concerts by the Manistee Symphony Orchestra & Chorus.
Manistee County Public Library
Northeast Corner of First and Maple Streets
Built in 1903 with Carnegie Foundation funds, the library has a Renaissance Classic design and is of limestone using "large stone" construction. The architect was George Harvey of Port Huron. The Lakeside Club was instrumental in raising funds for the construction site.
Pictured is a monument on the grave of James Stronach located in the old Stronach burying ground. James Stronach was one of the earliest successful lumbermen in this area. He erected the first steam sawmill in about 1845.
The Buckley House
450 Cedar Street
James Shrigley built this home in 1875 as a two story Victorian Gothic surrounded by carefully landscaped grounds. It was bought by Edward Buckley who remodeled the home in 1894 as a Free Classic Queen Anne.
A third floor ballroom was added, the windows were changed, and a torch and wreath theme was carried on throughout the house.
The E.G. Filer Home
Kowalski Place, 2600 Filer City Rd., Oak Hill
Standing on 4.9 acres of beautifully landscaped lawns, this Victorian Gothic house was built by lumberman Elihu Golden Filer and his wife, Julia, in 1875. The lawns are fronted with an ornate iron fence and feature several dependencies and two iron fountains.
The Noud House
Southwest Corner of Maple and Second Streets
Lumberman Patrick Noud had this home designed by the nationally famous "Chicago School" architects Holabird and Roche. Built in 1894-1895 of red brick, the three-story home in the Colonial Revival style has recently been carefully restored.
The Delbridge House
Southwest Corner of Cedar and Fourth Streets
D.W. Mowatt, who built this home shortly after the Great Fire of 1871, sold it in 1879 to James B. Delbridge, who is believed to have rebuilt the home in the Victorian Eclectic style using the materials from his planing mill and sash factory. The home was stuccoed by George M. Burr shortly after he purchased it in 1910.
The Dempsey House
Southwest Corner of Maple and Fifth Streets
James Dempsey, lumberman, built this home in 1895. It was designed by one of the well known Chicago architects of the time and is an example of Queen Anne style.
The Vincent House
Northeast Corner of Cedar and Bryant Streets
William Vincent, a prominent civil engineer, built this Queen Anne style home in 1885. The house today remains in the hands of the Vincent family. The barn, located behind the house, has been rehabilitated and converted into a fine residence.
The Leonard House
Southeast Corner of Fifth and Oak Streets
This simple Victorian brick home featuring Italian[a]te arched windows is believed to have been built in the early 1870's by Dr. William Fischer. It was later owned by lumberman and merchant Azro B. Leonard and photographer Jacob Hanselmann. The bricks used were actually dyed to their red color.
The Babcock House
Northeast Corner of Third and Oak Streets
This ornate brick residence, embellished with a turret and three bay windows, was built by prominent lumberman Simon Babcock in 1882 and remained in that family into 1915. The opulent interior, with working gas lighting, is typical of the homes that Manistee's wealthy built during the town's golden era.