A Home Becomes a Museum
This lovely building has been many homes.
It was built in the Italianate style in 1860, as our nation's Civil War approached, for the family of bank president Asa Dow. It continued as a home for families until 1922. As apartments, it provided vital housing for production workers at the Willow Run bomber plant during World War II and for Eastern Michigan University students in the 1960s. Since 1970 it has been nurtured back to loveliness as the home of the Ypsilanti Historical Museum.
"James, Edwin L. fctywkr Ford (Gen) h220 N. Huron
Lenix, Flortta fctywkr Ford (WR) h220 N. Huron"
Ypsilanti City Directory 1945
These are two of the WWII war production workers who lived in apartments in the 220 N. Huron building in 1945. Edwin James made electrical parts at the Ford Generator plant for jeeps, tanks, and other war vehicles. Floretta Lenix worked at the Ford Willow Run bomber plant.
"Meissner, Diane student
h220 N Huron apt 6"
Ypsilanti City Directory 1967"
This is one of the students who lived in apartments in the 220 N. Huron building in 1967. Diane Meissner was a student during dramatic growth in the student body of Eastern Michigan University.
You Auto Know
Visitors will find the best collection of Ypsilanti area history and genealogy
in this museum and archives.