Central SchoolsIn 1886, the first settlers on the Island of Palm Beach built a one room school which still stands on the island as the oldest school in southeast Florida. The students were transported by boat until the school closed in 1901 and was relocated in West Palm Beach. Other one room schools were established along the shores of Lake Worth. As the number of students increased in the schools, grades one to twelve, the need for a central school with a high school was established. In 1901, the school was opened on Dixie Highway between Clematis and Datura streets. Students were transported to the school by way of bus, train and boat. The high school was named Palm Beach High School and the first documented graduating class was 1907. The schools were moved to this site in 1908 and became known as "The School on the Hill." One year later in 1909, Palm Beach County was founded and the prior school building in downtown West Palm Beach became the first county court house.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, August 12th, 2016 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 593606 N 2954509|
|Decimal Degrees||26.70863333, -80.05896667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 26° 42.518', W 80° 3.538'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||26° 42' 31.08" N, 80° 3' 32.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 601 S Sapodilla Ave, West Palm Beach FL 33401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.