When the Union Pacific Railway, Eastern Division reached Hays City in October, 1867, this site became the temporary starting point of the Santa Fe Trail until mid-1868. The Five-Mule Concord Coaches of the Santa Fe Mail Company left here daily on the 4½ day run to Santa Fe. During these months, Hays City was also the eastern terminus for the coaches of the United States Express Co. going to and from Denver. In 1871 M.J.R. Treat moved the old Perry House to this site from across the railroad tracks and renamed it the Gibson House. The building was destroyed by fire on January 12, 1877. During the blaze, Mrs. Louie Lord, a well-known actress of the day, and her troupe had to leave the building by ladders.