Successor to the 17th century Anglican Church at Mount Calvert, this cruciform, brick church was authorized in 1732 and completed in 1745 during the rectorate of John Eversfield, 1728-1780. Built by Daniel Page it served as chapel of ease for the northern part of St. Paul's Parish, Prince George's County, until 1850. Since 1850 it has been parish church of St. Thomas' Parish, Prince George's County.
Victorianized in the 1850/s it was partially restored following the detailed original contract 1955-58. Thomas John Claggett, first Bishop of Maryland, lived near here and served as priest in this church. Members of the Lord Proprietor's family are buried here. Always open for prayer and worship, the blessed sacrament has been continuously reserved for many years.