—Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood —This section of 15th St. and the east-west blocks meeting it were developed mainly from 1874 to 1887 by a group of speculative investors. The house at the corner of 15th and Q Sts. was built earlier, in 1864.St. Augustine's, Washington's first black Catholic Church, grew from the Blessed Martin School (honoring Saint Martin De Porres), which opened in the 1100 block of 15th St. in 1858. Dedicated in the 1860s as St. Augustine's Church - the church later moved to the 1700 block of 15th St. and then to 15th and V Sts.At 1733 16th St. stands the House of the Temple (above), the headquarters building of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction, U.S.A. It was designed by John Russell Pope, architect of the National Archives, the National Gallery, the Jefferson Memorial and several churches and residences. Built 1911-1915, the temple was modeled on the mausoleum of Halikarnassos, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Its council room is 100 feet high.
|Placed By||Art on Call|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, July 29th, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 323582 N 4309206|
|Decimal Degrees||38.91405000, -77.03480000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 54.843', W 77° 2.088'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 54' 50.58" N, 77° 2' 5.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1500-1598 S St NW, Washington DC 20009, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.