This substantial two-story house was built in 1854 by Nelson Wheeler Whipple at a cost of approximately $2,000. Whipple was a Mormon immigrant from New York who arrived in Salt Lake City in 1850. During his long career in Utah he worked as a policeman, gunsmith, carpenter, and cabinet maker. He also operated a successful shingle mill, supplying shingles for the Tabernacle and many other public and ecclesiastical structures. His detailed journals provide excellent insight into the early settlement of the valley and were serialized in the 1930s in the Improvement Era, and LDS church publication.
A central-passage type house, the Nelson Wheeler Whipple House has careful, classically-inspired details in the roof cornice and frieze, window hoods, and the main door with sidelights. It is one of the oldest surviving residences in the Salt Lake Valley. Since its construction was carefully documented by Whipple, it is especially valuable as a "textbook" of early Utah building practices.
Marker placed in 1993