Erected in 1889, the building served as Milltown School No. 78 until 1908 when the Milltown Public School was built on West Church Street. Once the move was made to the newer facility, this structure was used as the Milltown Municipal Building and Court Room. In 1911 it was renovated to house the newly formed Fire Department as well. The municipal offices and court moved to a new location in 1956. Eureka Engine Company No. 1, of the Milltown Fire Department, continues to operate out of the building to this day. Although the cupola is gone and an addition has been made, the firehouse looks much the way it did in 1889. The original blackboards from its school days are still being used to log fire calls.
The building played a very important role in the history of Milltown, serving capacities crucial to the community. In addition, this is the oldest structure in Middlesex County housing an active and functioning Fire Department.
This Historic Site Marker is a gift to the people of Milltown from the Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 2012.