Lit Dec. 1, 1868, the light from its first order Fresnel lens swept 30 miles to sea. Decommissioned in 1951, the structure slowly began to inch toward the 422' cliff. The light was dismantled in 1998 and moved to Point Delgada, Shelter Cove by the Cape Mendocino Lighthouse Preservation Society. The lantern roof portion was airlifted by the Army National Guard. Funded during the Lincoln administration, the lighthouse is now a monument to those hardy and long-suffering keepers of the light and to the United States Coast Guard who served to keep people and ships safe.
Dedicated Sept. 30, 2000 by Cape Mendocino Lighthouse Preservation Society in cooperation with County of Humboldt, U.S. Bureau of Land Management, and the Ancient and honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus Eureka Chapter 101