Located in central Wyoming's North Platte River Valley, Alcova Reservoir plays an important role in water conservation, irrigation, and hydroelectric generation. Alcova Reservoir was originally proposed in 1904 as part of a series of irrigation projects designed to support the irrigation needs of the North Platte River Valley. Alcova Reservoir and Seminoe Reservoir, located 37 miles upstream from Alcova Reservoir, were part of what became known as the Kendrick Project. This project was designed to divert north (sic) Platte River water into the 200-mile Casper Canal system serving Kendrick Irrigation Project lands downstream.
The Alcova Dam, constructed between 1935 and 1938 during the Great Depression, is an earth and rockfall embankment structure 265 feet high and 763 feet across the crest. It was constructed by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation and provides additional benefits for flood control and power production. Alcova Dam is located in the narrow canyon that was created when the North Platte River cut through a Pennsylvania Tensleep sandstone formation that was geologically formed around 300 million years ago. The reservoir backs up against the northeast shoulder of the Granite Mountain uplift.
Today, Alcova Reservoir possesses numerous facilities designed for all types of outdoor and water recreation activities. Six
campgrounds, eight boat ramps, a marina concession area, and interpretive trails provide enjoyment and easy access.