The Casselman Inn. You are standing in front of the Casselman Inn, which was opened in 1842 by Solomon Sterner. This establishment has also been known as Sterner House, Drovers' Inn, Farmers' Hotel and Dorsey Hotel. There was a large outdoor corral here during the years when it was a major stop for cattle drovers.
Mile Marker. The white cast iron mile marker here is one of many that were installed in 1835 when the State of Maryland took over responsibility for the National Road from the federal government. These markers show how far it is to each end of the road (Cumberland, MD and Wheeling, WV) as well as how far it is to the next towns. From this marker, Frostburg, MD to the east and Petersburgh (now Addison, PA) to the west are the next towns.
Schutlz Inn. In 1845 Adam Schultz built an imposing brick inn behind you, directly across the street from the Casselman Inn. After the Schultz Inn was torn down,the materials used to build a school building on the same site.
The National Hotel. Until demolished in 1984, the National Hotel was located at the center of town. A previous tavern, the Layman House, had been built on the site in 1832. Henry Fuller tore down the old building and erected the National Hotel in 1837. It had 18 rooms and provided stabling for 40 horses.
Fuller Baker Log House. The Fuller Baker Log House was built about 1815 and was most likely used as a tavern. It is now a private residence.
Penn Alps. The building now known as Penn Alps Restaurant encases an original log tavern. Called Little Crossings Inn, it was built by Jesse Tomlinson in 1818. Enlarged and remodeled around 1900, it became the home of William Stanton as shown in the photo. Known later as the Dixie Tavern, there is a brochure and historic signage along a "history walk" on the property.
The Stone House. Tomlinson's Stone House Inn was built in 1816 at Little Meadows. The walls in the Stone House are two feet thick and 10 of the 18 rooms have fireplaces. The building has served as an inn, tavern, post office (1822-1834), and polling place. The Stone House remained an inn through the end of the 1800's. It has since retired from its days as a social and political center and is now a private residence.