Modern Christian camping records go back to the late 1700s, but the focus on camping for youth started in west Texas in 1898 on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River. The Baptist Young People's Union of Haskell, Albany, Anson and Abilene met here for a season of physical and spiritual refreshment in the summer of 1898 and voted to create a permanent organization under the name the West Texas Union. In 1933, the name changed to Lueders Baptist Encampment and, in 1973, the group was renamed the Big Country Baptist Assembly.
In 1923, 31.6 acres were purchased from S. Webb and L.H. Hill who were land developers of the town of Lueders. On July 14-23, 1925, some 10,000 campers pitched tents there for a time of Christian fellowship. Many believe that the Big Country Baptist Assembly is an original type of Christian camp now known as "Christian youth camp." Five associations made up of 168 churches of the Southern Baptist Convention presently own the Big Country Baptist Assembly.
The site celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 1998. The campgrounds have changed drastically since the late 1800s as rope swings, swimming in the river and sack races have been replaced by a pool, zip line and many other activities. Tents and cots have been replaced by three bunkhouses, motel-type facilities and a dining hall. Many past campers, pastors and managers reminisce about their time at the camp and the lasting impact that it had on their lives. The longevity of Big Country Baptist Assembly represents Texas religious heritage and still promotes evangelism, missions, Christian education, wholesome recreation and Christian fellowship while continuing their strong heritage.