This region was first settled about 1700 after Samuel Allen, Benjamin Miller, and Samuel Wetmore had reached an agreement with the Indians. It was incorporated as a parish in1744, a meeting house was erected, and the Congregational Church formed in 1747. Several industries have been located along the Coginchaug River from the late 1700's to the present. Early factories were water powered and produced lumber, snuff, black powder, knives, pistols, cotton products grist, buttons, nails, iron wire, paper, and clothes wringers. In 1866 the settlement broke away from Middletown, incorporated by the General Assembly as a separate town. In 1867 the New Haven, Middletown and Willimantic Railroad Company was founded and by 1870 a rail line was constructed to Middletown. In 1971 the Town was chartered. Today Middlefield retains its rural character with a population of about 3700. It is, however, a balanced community. with a fair share of active industrial, recreational, and agricultural activities supporting the economy.
Erected by the Town of Middlefield
and the Connecticut Historical Commission