Founded in 1927 by Gerald (Jerry) Gill and family, the park consisted of four picnic sections, over forty acres, four baseball diamonds, two swimming pools, a wading pool for children, large dance hall and two snack bars.
At one time the grounds entertained 5,000 people on a week end arriving in over 1,200 cars.
In 1957 a cloudburst on the east side of Mt. Diablo sent a twelve foot torrent of water down Marsh Creek destroying the park.
Rebuilt that year - it was again destroyed in 1962 by a second - flood.
In 1964 the John and Eloise McHugh family purchased the area, known as section number one, and began restoring its beauty.