Originally built in 1857 by Augustus Jacoby, this building was constructed of locally quarried stone and brick. This was the first fire proof building in Humboldt County. Jacoby left Arcata in 1862 and mercantile firms continued to occupy the "fireproof store warehouse". After the disastrous fire of 1875, which destroyed many buildings on the north and east sides of the Plaza including his own business, Alexander Brizard, in 1880, purchased the building as a new location for his mercantile business. In 1907 the second and third floors were added and the building was expanded to its current exterior shape. The Brizard family closed the building in 1974, renovating it to its current grandeur and reopening it in 1977 as a "business incubator". Since then, "The Storehouse" has served as a home to a variety of retail shops, restaurants and offices.