U.S.N. Armed Guard of World War II
The Armed Guard of WW II came into existence on April 15, 1941 as USN Naval Reserves began special gunnery training. On September 25, 1941, orders were given to train 200 officers and 1000 men by January 16, 1942. The base was officially established on October 15, 1941. The first class of 23 officers and 184 men began training 300 yards east of this point. Known as Naval Section Base with a staff of four Gunners Mates. U.S.S. Paducah, U.S.S. Dubuque, and the U.S.S. Eagle 19 were the gunships used for training.
Armed Guard crews consisted of officers, gunners, signalman, radiomen, medics, WAVES and ship's company, with a total of 144,970 personnel serving on 6236 ships. Of these ships, 710 were sunk and many damaged, with 1810 killed in action and unknown injuries. Armed Guard P.O.W. total was 27 with 14 survivors. 86,198 Armed Guards were transferred to the fleet as needed on LST, LCI, PT Boats, Subs and larger ships.
To the 1810 Armed Guards who gave their lives, to their families and friends, the Army and merchant crew that assisted us so well, this Memorial is dedicated by their surviving shipmates.
Our motto "We aim - to deliver" and we did!