Soon after Wheeler County was organized in 1879, a Union church was formed at Old Mobeetie (2 mi S). On April 2, 1894, the 13 Baptist members of the fellowship organized this church. Services were held in public buildings until 1919, when a sanctuary was built. After, the Panhandle & Santa Fe Railroad bypassed Old Mobeetie, the town declined, and the church building was moved here in 1942. Through its heritage of service to two communities, Old and New Mobeetie, the church has played a major role in the development of the surrounding area.