This monument, erected in 1877, marks the graves of Meshach Frost (1787-1864) and his wife Catherine (1792-1876), founders of Frostburg. In 1812 they built their first home here. As the tavern Highland Hall, the building later accommodated in a day as many as 300 guests and 40 stagecoaches traveling the National Road. In 1846 Frost, a successful farmer, coal operator, and land speculator, built a spacious home, the Frost Mansion on Frost Avenue.
Here on this historic site now stand St. Michael's Rectory (1871), church (1868), school (1891), and convent (1906).