The Texas Legislature created Lipscomb County in 1876, naming it for early Texas Statesman Abner Lipscomb. Approximately ten years later, J.W. Arthur settled in this vicinity and built a wood and sod structure that he used as a general store and post office, which he named Lipscomb. The community that grew around the Lipscomb post office soon developed into the county's seat of government. Historic Texas Cemetery
By 1887, when infant Fred Mehlhop was buried here, the community had formally established Lipscomb Cemetery. His is the fist marked grave, although unmarked graves exist that may predate his burial. Among those interred here are the first Lipscomb County Judge, Tom Connell, as well as other county officials, schoolteachers, ranchers, farmers, and military veterans.
An early windmill and storage tank provided water to the site. Over the years, the community met annually for cleanings and decoration days, but today Lipscomb County maintains the burial ground, which is a tie to the area's early settlers and their efforts to develop the northeastern Texas panhandle beginning in the late 19th century.