(Bordering this highway)This county was created in 1876 and named for noted Texas jurist William Beck Ochiltree (1811-1867). In 1876 it was attached for judicial purposes to Clay and later to Wheeler County. In 1886 pioneers began to settle in dugouts here on the prairies near Wolf Creek, saying they lived "in Ochiltree." For convenience in making land and tax transactions, and establishing law and order, they organized the county in 1889, making their village the county seat. First elected officials were William J. Todd, county judge; Dave C. Kettell, sheriff and tax collector; George M. Perry, county clerk; Myrtle L. Daily, treasurer. In 1891 a 2-story courthouse was built (100 yds E) of lumber freighted from Dodge City, Kans. This also served as church, schoolhouse, and social hall for the town. By 1903, Ochiltree had 600 people, churches, a high school, a newspaper, bank, flour mill, and other facilities.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, April 4th, 2016 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 337318 N 4016627|
|Decimal Degrees||36.28090000, -100.81136667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 16.854', W 100° 48.682'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 16' 51.24" N, 100° 48' 40.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near TX-70, Perryton TX 79070, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.