Historic Alachua General Hospital (AGH) stood on this site for nearly 82 years. A county or community-supported venture for much of its history, the hospital served the needs of Alachua County citizens for generations as a respected health care resource. Public attempts to raise funds and establish a community hospital began in 1904. In 1906, the Alachua County Hospital Association leased the Odd Fellows Home, built in 1883 as a sanatorium, and in 1928, the 58-bed Alachua County Hospital opened. As community needs grew, the hospital added an annex in 1943 and a staff and nurses' residence in 1944. The Hospital Auxiliary, formed in 1953 as a volunteer organization, provided valuable services to support hospital activities. By its 50th anniversary in 1978, AGH had become a private, not-for-profit hospital. In 1983, AGH became part of SantaFe Health Care; then, in 1996, it was purchased by Shands Healthcare. For 13 years, Shands AGH further developed its outstanding reputation. The hospital closed in 2009 and in 2010 became the site for the Florida Innovation Square at the University of Florida.