The Lincoln Lane school is a historic reminder of segregation in Putnam County. Built in 1938 at a cost "not to exceed $600," the one-room schoolhouse served African American children from grades 1 through 6. Compared with white schools operating in the county during the same time, the school year was shorter and text books were second-hand. Moreover, teachers at this school were paid less, and publicly-funded transportation was not provided to studenst. In 1954, the landmark United States Supreme Court decision of Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka found that the "Separate but equal" doctrine, which had been used to justify segregation in public schools since the 1890s, was inherently unequal and unconstitutional. In 1956, title to the school land was conveyed to Charles E. Brush, a prominent local businessman and resident, symbolizing the end of school segregation in Interlachen. The Historical Society of Interlachen, Inc. purchased the land and building in 2013 in recognition of its historic significance.