The Hercules Powder Company Camp No. 39 was established on this site in September 1946. It was an eighty acre tract with sixty to seventy company built pre-fabricated homes rented to employees for four dollars per room per month; some employees lived off site. Once the largest employer in Zephyrhills, with 150 people at any time, there was a commissary and a baseball team.
Farmers and ranchers within a thirty-five mile radius contracted with Hercules to remove pine stumps, which were then shipped by rail to Brunswick, Georgia. There they were processed into naval stores, mainly rosin, turpentine, and pine oil, as well as byproducts used in paper, paints, varnishes, adhesives, asphalt emulsions, gun powder, and dynamite.
Hercules Incorporated is based in Wilmington, Delaware and operated in the Zephyrhills area for nearly forty years. This county park and nearby Zephyrhills High School and Woodland Elementary School were built on the Hercules Powder Company Camp No. 39 site.