Established by the United Sons and Daughters Benevolent Society, the Bayou Paul Colored School provided elementary education for African-American children in the Bayou Paul community and served as a meeting hall for the Society. The Society built the School on land that they purchased on January 27, 1920 for twenty-five dollars. Heated by a coal-fired stove, the one room cypress school held thirty-five to forty-eight students, grades first to eighth. A general curriculum of reading, spelling, writing, arithmetic, geography, and history was taught by dedicated teachers such as Amanda Aletha Anderson Grace. Mrs. Grace a native of Bayou Goula, Louisiana and a graduate of the Iberville Parish Training School, New Orleans University and Southern University taught at the school for 19 years from 1936 until 1955 when the school was closed and students transferred to the new Sunshine High School. In 2006, the one room cypress building was moved to its current location, just one quarter-mile away from the original site.