One and one-fourth milesStately church edifices frequently have humble beginnings and so with St. Paul Lutheran Church, one of South Dakota's finest. The humble log church pictured hereon was erected in 1867 by the members of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation by Brule Creek an organization created August 12, 1863 but who had no permanent pastor. It was ready for use by Christmas 1868. The name had been changed to St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in Dakota. The first church council were Kjell P. Ronne, Helge Mathiason and Thomas Olesen. The seats, pulpit and millwork cost $39.50 and its first permanent pastor was (1) J.E. Nesse, who served from 1869 to 1881. The church was used as a parochial school, a common school and a polling place but as the congregation grew, an acre of land across the road to the west was acquired in 1877 and the new church with a high steeple and bell was built and used until 1923. (2) David Lysness served as pastor until his death in 1890 followed by (3) O.T. Nelson, who served until 1895 being succeeded by (4) P.J. Reinertsen, who served until 1918. It was in April 1910 that the first all English services were conducted. (5) A.J. Bergsaker followed Pastor Reinertsen and on July 9, 1922 the present beautiful church was dedicated.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, February 24th, 2016 at 9:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14T E 689182 N 4736915|
|Decimal Degrees||42.76143333, -96.68795000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 45.686', W 96° 41.277'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 45' 41.16" N, 96° 41' 16.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near SD-50, Elk Point SD 57025, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.