Side 1 Livingston, Alabama
Prior to the signing of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek on September 27, 1830, this site belonged to the Choctaw Nation. Early settlers to the area came from the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, and Virginia. In 1833, a commission was appointed to organize Sumter County and select the county seat. The site chosen was named Livingston in honor of Edward Livingston, a prominent jurist, statesman, and Secretary of State under President Andrew Jackson. On January 10, 1835, the town of Livingston was incorporated. The first courthouse, built of logs, stood on the corner of Spring Street and West Main. Another courthouse, which was a frame building erected on the Square in 1839, burned in 1901. The cornerstone for the present courthouse was laid July 9, 1902.
Livingston's Bored Well
The Bored Well on the Courthouse Square in Livingston was started in 1854, and historians say an old blind mule pulled the auger around day after day until completion in 1857 of an artesian well. When people began to claim the mineral water had medicinal value, Livingston's fame as a health spa spread far and wide. In 1904 the water quit overflowing and a hand pump was added. In 1928 an electric pump was installed. Originally a wooden Chinese pagoda covered the well, but a new brick structure was constructed in 1924. In 1999 this building was removed for safety reasons, and in 2005 the present pavilion was completed. Once again the Bored Well became one of Livingston's most treasured landmarks.