The Estellville Methodist Church, formerly Stephen Creek Meeting House, was built in 1834 at a cost of $621.21 on land donated by John E. Estell of, at that time, Weymouth Township, Gloucester County.
The Society was incorporated on December 10, 1831 as part of the Bargaintown Circuit, and existed when the New Jersey Conference was organized in 1836. It became part of the Mays Landing Circuit when separated from the Bargaintown Circuit in 1852.
The church served more than thirty families, but attendance eventually declined as did the glass, iron and lumber industries in the area. When, in 1917, Bethlehem Steel built a shell loading plant along the South River the church closed for good. Through the efforts of the Friends of Old Estellville Methodist Church Committee, and anniversary service is held every year on the first Sunday in October.