Erected by Col. John Armstrong. In the winter of 1756, by the order of the Province of Pennsylvania, was situated a mile south-east of this spot. The fort was built for the protection of the frontiers against the Indians and took the place of the fort at McDowell's Mill, which was situated at Bridgeport. Fort Loudon was the scene of many thrilling events during the Indian raids into this region. During the expedition of Gen. John Forbes, in 1758, and that of Col. Henry Bouquet in 1763-4, this fort was used as a rendezvous for troops and as a base of supplies. It was the scene of the exploits of Capt. James Smith and his "Black Boys" in 1765. Before the building of the state road to Pittsburgh, it was the point of departure of great trains of pack-horses, laden with goods, for the west and south.