These fort buildings were reconstructed on the original site in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration. The WPA was a government program created during the Great Depression to provide jobs for the unemployed.
Prior to his death on July 26, 1885 Lt. Caspar W. Collins made several diagrams of military posts in Dakota Territory. This reconstruction was based on his diagram of the fort.
In November of 1865 the post known as Platte Bridge Station was officially renamed Fort Caspar in honor of Lt. Collins.
1. Sutler Store - Built in 1862 by a civilian trader who contracted with the army to run the store.
2. Blacksmith Shop and Corral - The blacksmith shop, built in 1859, served the needs of the Overland Stage Company, Pony Express, emigrants, and the army.
3. Living Quarters - Stable - Corral - Built in 1859 by the Overland Stage Company as living quarters and stables. Also used by the Pony Express as a relay station in 1860-61. In 1862, the army adapted it into officers' quarters, a laundry room, and stables.
4. Commissary - Built in 1862, this building was used to store army issue clothing, equipment, and foodstuff.
5. Barracks & Kitchen - Squad rooms and mess hall used by cavalry and infantry troops stationed at the fort beginning in 1862.
6. Telegraph Office - Originally, this 1859 building was the Guinard trading post. It was converted in 1861 by the Pacific Telegraph into an office and store room.
7. Gurnard Bridge - Built in 1859 by Louis Gurnard and used until Fort Caper was abandoned in 1867.
8. The Mormon Ferry - The first ferry was built in 1847 when the Mormon Pioneer Party crossed the river here.
9. Carriage Shed - The long building houses the Museum's wagon collection and serves as storage for large artifacts.
10. Commemorative Cemetery - The white markers represent some of the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry soldiers who died while serving in the west.
11.Monument & Cemetery - GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) monument as site of several burials, both military and civilian.