1904 - 1905Mr. John F. Patterson, known as the Founder of Pinedale, proposed establishing a town at this location. He offered to build and stock a general store if local ranchers Charles A. Petersen and Mr. Robert O. Graham each donated five acres for the town site. The three gentlemen agreed to this plan, a surveyor was hired, and the town of Pinedale, named after the Post Office on Petersen's ranch, became a town on paper owned by the three. Pine Street was the ranchers' property line. Founders Day is September 26, 1904, when the first town plat was drawn on a piece of yellow linen cloth showing blocks, lots and streets. Free town lots were offered to early settlers, one of whom was C. Watt Brandon, Mr. Patterson's nephew. Mr Brandon built a newspaper office for his paper, The Pinedale Roundup, which also housed the Post Office.
|Placed By||Sublette County Historic Preservation Board|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 at 1:03pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12T E 592825 N 4746647|
|Decimal Degrees||42.86678333, -109.86361667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 52.007', W 109° 51.817'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 52' 0.42" N, 109° 51' 49.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 21 N Franklin Ave, Pinedale WY 82941, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.