The neat row of mortared cobblestones (#1) is a remnant of the west wall of the Mormon fort, which was completed in late summer of 1857. It is the largest and most impressive feature uncovered in recent excavations at Fort Bridger. The lighter colored stone foundation (#4) ties into the cobblestones, indicating that it was constructed during the same period.
Upon the approach of the U.S. Army, in the fall of 1857, Mormon forces deliberately set fire to Fort Bridger and retreated. A thick layer of ash from this burn was discovered during the first year of excavation. The darker stone foundation (#3) was built by the military some time between 1858 and 1867.
" In May last the Mormons built a wall around it (Bridger's fort) with the following dimensions, wall 100 feet square inside, 5 at the base and runs up to 15 feet... These walls are built of small round stone laid in mortar. It is a strong wall and well built of the kind... All the buildings are burned." — Captain Jesse A. Grover, Tenth Infantry, November 21, 1857