In the early to mid 1900s the DOODLEBUG arrived at this platform six days a week bringing passengers from Des Moines and in between to board the great passenger trains of the day. On November 2, 1902 the first run of the luxurious Golden State Limited, carrying passengers from Chicago to Los Angeles, was made. Included on that route was a stop in Eldon. Many years later it would seem most fitting that after nearly 100 years of service, the Eldon Depot saw its last passengers on February 20, 1968, when the Golden State Limited, making its final run, stopped in Eldon for the last time.
The DOODLEBUG was a gasoline-powered electric train. It was the smallest full train on the Rock Island system. The one-car train ran daily, except Sunday, from Des Moines to Eldon and returned, a four-hour trip each way. The train carried passengers, baggage and mail. It was operated by a four-man crew consisting of an engineer, a conductor, a brakeman and a mailman. In later years the DOODLEBUG ran a shortened route between Eldon and Ottumwa.