Cobblestone Consruction Piece by Piece
— Architecture of the Coast —Cobblestones Cobblestone construction was born in this area. The example here is a composite of several materials and styles that can be seen within a short distance of this park. The word 'cobblestone' comes from the English word 'cob', meaning a rounded lump, combined with the word 'stone'. Back View Rubble core. Field stone inner wall. Mortar Composed of lime, sand, and water, the mortar joints were tooled to overhang the course below like clapboards. V'd joints. Mortar tooled to a raised peak between stones. Random height pattern. Quicklime Limekilns were built into the side of a hill for ease of top loading. Lime, called quicklime after processing, was produced by heating limestone rock to 2000° in a hardwood-fired kiln. The limestone changes to a form that dissolves into a paste when water is added. It is cured for a time and mixed with sand to make the mortar for masonry construction. Cobbles Naturally rounded stones, smoothed by tumbling in shoreline glacial deposits, that can be held in one hand. Rounded, glacier-smoothed stone. Flat, lake-washed stone. Herringbone pattern. Quoins Hand-shaped Medina Sandstone used at corners, where pieces were sized to equal four courses of cobbles. Sandstone was also used for sills, and lintels, the pieces which span openings in the wall and carry the courses above. ★ Cobblestone Church Museum and Gift Shop. Approximate location of a cobblestone structure. Many of these structures are private. Please respect property rights. For more information on cobblestones, visit the Cobblestone Museum and Gift Shop near the intersection of Route 104 and 98 in Childs. Cobblestone Era 1860 Cobblestone construction replaced by modern methods. 1855 Era at its peak with fancy patterns and styles. These structures were often post and beam framework, finished with a cobblestone veneer. Mid-1830s Solid masonry gives way to firred walls to create a ventilating airspace. 1834 Cobblestone church, site of the Cobblestone Museum, built. 1825-1831 Earliest known cluster of cobblestone buildings. These buildings featured simple designs and solid masonry walls. 1825 Steward Canfield house built, possibly the earliest major cobblestone house. Erie Canal opened. Rare matrials found along the Seaway Trail were combined to create structures of utility and beauty.
|Series||This marker is part of the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway series|
|Placed By||Seaway Trail, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, November 2nd, 2015 at 9:02am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 727619 N 4804863|
|Decimal Degrees||43.36213333, -78.19091667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 21.728', W 78° 11.455'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 21' 43.68" N, 78° 11' 27.3" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Lake Ontario State Pkwy, Waterport NY 14571, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.