(One-Half Mile Southwest)The Center City Cemetery began with the burials in 1874 of Julia M. Bishop and M.E. Hughes, the adult and infant daughters of W.C. and Caroline Hughes, early settlers of this area. Judge L.E. Patterson purchased 2.5 acres containing the Hughes burials in 1905 for use as a community graveyard. Concern for its upkeep prompted the establishment of a cemetery committee in 1951. A $1000 gift to the cemetery in J.M. Dalton's will in 1967 helped establish a maintenance fund. The more than 500 burials recorded here include those of many of this area's earliest settlers.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 25th, 2015 at 9:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 555871 N 3481804|
|Decimal Degrees||31.46966667, -98.41185000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 28.18', W 98° 24.711'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 28' 10.8" N, 98° 24' 42.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 900 US-84, Goldthwaite TX 76844, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.