On this site stood the Tavern of Charles "King Charley" Williams, first permanent white settler in Coshocton County. A native of Maryland, and born in 1764, Williams came here in 1801. He died in 1840. The dominant figure of his generation, he was military leader, tavern keeper, judge, sheriff and member of the state legislature. His house was the community center—tavern, courthouse, ballroom, even church. History relates that Louis Phillipe, later King Louis XIII of France was, because of his boisterousness, bodily kicked out of the tavern by "King Charley." The long log building, which faced the river, burned in 1889.