Red Bank Battlefield Park is a 44-acre park administered by Gloucester County's Department of Parks and Recreation. Enjoy our scenic walking trails, beautiful views of the Delaware River, and tours of The Whitall House and Red Bank Battlefield.In 1777, Red Bank became home to Fort Mercer. The combined troops stationed here and at Fort Mifflin, on the opposite bank of the Delaware River, worked to stop British ships from sailing to Philadelphia. In October of that year, the vastly outnumbered American forces decisively defeated Hessian troops fighting for the British. Whitall House served as an American field hospital.The Red Bank Battlefield, including the Whitall House, was named a National Historic Landmark in 1972.