Organized by Rev. Joe Price between 1874 and 1876 in Langford's Cove community (later renamed Evant), the Evant Methodist Episcopal Church began with seven charter members: Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Winters, Mr. and Mrs. G.T. Winters, Mr. and Mrs. Edington and Miss Elam. After a short time, the Rev. Mr. Price returned to his home in Mississippi. The congregation continued to hold prayer meetings led by W.C. Winters and occasional visiting pastors, including M.M. Waver and W.H. Carr of nearby Levita, the Rev. Dr. Perry from Hamilton, the Rev. Bill Davenport and the Rev. Osgood Shook. First meeting in members' homes and under brush arbors, they eventually began to hold prayer meetings in the small local schoolhouse.
In the spring of 1879 a camp meeting was held at Cottonwood Springs. New families began moving into the area, including the Murehead family from Rhode Island and the Thomas family from Wales, Great Britain. They began a Sunday school and invited area young people to join them in Methodist worship. As they grew in numbers they joined the Methodist Church.
In 1884, the Baptist built the first church building in the community. The Methodists shared the structure with other denominations until 1905 when they erected their own building. It was moved across the street in 1937 due to highway development.
The Methodist church in the nearby Vista community joined with Evant Methodist in 1949 and they dedicated a new brick building that year in a ceremony led by the presiding bishop. The congregation's growth reached its 20th century peak in 1963 with 201 members. The Evant United Methodist Church continues in the traditions of its founders.