Cowikee Cotton Mills, which operated on this site for over 100 years, was for decades Eufaula's largest employer. The mill began in 1888 as the Eufaula Cotton Mill. In 1909 the Comer family purchased the business and renamed it Cowikee Cotton Mills. The Comers later expanded the enterprise to include operations in Dale and Bullock Counties. Many of the mill workers lived nearby in the close-knit mill village, which featured a community house, playground, pool, and kindergarten. Workers took part in mill-sponsored bands, athletics, and social clubs.