This barn was built in 1870 by Thor Ericson just south of Story City. It was built on a farm that has been in the same family since 1865. The barn was built on a side of a hill using the "basement barn" concept. This construction method allowed access to both levels of the barn from ground level. The low side was dug out and walled up making the basement. The walls were constructed using fieldstone and limestone. The basement portion of the barn was used for milking cows and keeping chickens and sheep. The upper level was floored and contained grain bins, feed, and hay storage areas.
The original portion of the barn was made of mortise and tenon construction, using hand-hewn timbers. It was put together by hand and horse power. Metal nails and other hardware were not used, only wooden pins or pegs, called trenails, were used in the construction.
In 2013 the barn was sold to a gentleman from Texas who came and dismantled it. The wood was shipped to Texas where he has plans to build a home using the old hand-hewn timbers.
Displayed here are the barn's two hayloft doors. On the left is the west door and on the right is the south door.
Lineage of family farm owners:
Thor & Sarah Ericson 1865 - 1910
Sampson & Emily Wierson 1910 - 1951
Lawrence &Thelma Osheim 1951 - 1992
David & Rosemary Osheim 1992 - Present
[Photo captions, from top to bottom, read]
West side of barn circa 1920.
West side of barn in 2013.
East side of barn in 2002
Thor Ericson circa 1890