U.S.The trench for Thayer's Approach to the Confederate work in his front was started about May 30, 1863, on the north side of this ridge, through which it was carried by a tunnel. Preserved by the brick arch. The trench across the ravine to the foot of the spur south of this marker, about 6 feet wide and 6 feet deep, was covered by a blinding of bundles of can laid across it and affording protection against rifle balls. The Confederates did not use artillery against this blinding. When the trench reached cover at the base of spur two lines of approach were started and these lines united on top of the spur to form one approach.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 4th, 2015 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 702270 N 3583937|
|Decimal Degrees||32.37411667, -90.85000000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 22.447', W 90° 51'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 22' 26.82" N, 90° 51' 0" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 812 Union Ave, Vicksburg MS 39183, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.