— Historic New Market —The Henkel house is another historic home. The brick part was built by Dr. Solomon Henkel, physician and druggist, in 1802. The wooden front part and two rooms upstairs were added by his son, Dr. Solon P.C. Henkel in 1855. A metal plate nailed on the right beside the latch covers the holes broken into the panels by the rifle butts and bayonets of irate Yankee soldiers who had been doused with hot water thrown from the upstairs window.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 27th, 2015 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 702577 N 4280170|
|Decimal Degrees||38.64695000, -78.67221667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 38.817', W 78° 40.333'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 38' 49.02" N, 78° 40' 19.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9410 S Congress St, New Market VA 22844, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.